11 Merchants Wharf, Commercial Road 
Electric Bikes & Scooters  
11 Merchants Wharf 
Commercial Road, Penryn, Cornwall TR10 8AQ 
01326 379200 
Monday to Saturday 
Frequently asked questions 
What type of electric scooters and mopeds are currently available? 
There are two types of electric scooters currently available in the UK. Firstly ones like our Niu range which are simply electric versions of the traditional 50cc and 125cc petrol scooters or mopeds. The Government are also currently trialing electric stand up scooters in many UK cities and we anticipate they may legalised at some stage. 
Do road registered electric scooters and mopeds qualify for a Government subsidy? 
Yes they do. 
The PiMG (Plug in Motorcycle Grant) – is given to the retail customer in the form of a discount off the usual price of the Scooter/Moped or Moped. This grant is offered by the OLEV (Office of Low Emission Vehicles) department of the UK government, and the prices quoted on our site have already had this discount applied. 
It is designed to encourage the use of electric vehicles (specifically two-wheeled) in the UK, within major cities with congestion and ultra low emission zones in place. Being ULEZ (ultra-low emission zone) compliant, the whole Niu range comes to you with this discount already applied when you purchase from us. With plans to make all major cities in the UK energy compliant, with the use of special lanes, congestion charges and electric vehicle only lanes – there has never been a better time to take advantage of the PiMG and start enjoying free road tax, free access to ULEZ and congestion charge areas along with ZERO petrol costs and the freedom of electric mopeds. 
Do I need a licence to ride one? 
Yes, any vehicle with a motor requires registering with DVLA and an accompanying licence, unless it is an electric assist pedal bicycle.  
For most scooters and mopeds, a CBT licence will suffice which usually take a few hours with a training centre locally, and costs around £100. 
If you have a driving licence from before 2001, you may be able to ride category AM or P bikes on this without having to take a CBT test - check your licence for details. 
At 16 you can complete your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) and legally ride a 50cc petrol or electric equivalent moped on the road with Learner plates and without a passenger.  
At 17 you can then ride a 125cc or electric equivalent motorbike/scooter. 
This though can only last for two years when your DL196 (CBT) certificate will expire. 
You can then either retake your CBT test or consider taking the full motorcycle test and do away with L plates for good. 
If you choose to take the full motorcycle test you need to choose whether it’s an AM Moped Licence or A1 Motorcycle Licence you go for. 
For more detailed licence information click here to view the DVLA licence requirements. 
What is the difference between a Moped and a Scooter? 
Mopeds were traditionally equipped with pedals and the name itself is an amalgamation of motor and pedal. 
Now though, they don’t come with pedals and they are instead defined by their engine size, speed and output. 
Usually mopeds will have an engine size of 50cc petrol or the electric equivalent and a top speed of around 28mph. More often than not they are Twist & Go (automatic) models. 
A scooter is very similar to a moped in styling but generally larger and with an engine size above 50cc, or the equivalent electric motor. It is also capable of a higher top speed. 
Mopeds are also generally cheaper than scooters. 
What is a CBT? 
CBT stands for “Compulsory Basic Training”. It is designed to give you the basic information, safety and confidence on the road while using a moped or motorcycle and should cost around £100. 
You can’t Pass or Fail your CBT - it is a set of training. Once completed, you can ride a moped (16+) or any motorcycle / moped with a power rating up to 11kW if you’re over 17. 
It is designed usually as a stepping stone to taking a full motorcycle license / test. 
Do I need insurance? 
Yes you do, and as these scooters are very new to the UK market, many insurers will not cover them. 
These are the companies we have found the most helpful and they should be able to give you a sensible quotation. 
We do not recommend any of the above over each other. This information is provided for reference only. 
Is the top speed limited? 
For legal reasons, most mopeds are limited to 28 or 45mph to ensure they fall into the AM or P category of licenses, and thus only requiring a CBT license. If you view the model you are interested in, it will tell you which category it falls into. 
How long does it take to re charge? 
Most batteries take between 3 and 6 hours to recharge, depending on the size of battery and power of the charger. 
What is the range of an electric scooter? 
This depends on many things including how hilly is the terrain, how windy is it, how is the scooter being ridden, what is the weight of the rider, what size and number of batteries does the scooter have and what power mode is being used. 
In the description of our scooters we have given a guide as to what the average rider should be able to get out of the particular model, but it can vary wildly. 
In our experience using the bikes in hilly Cornwall, the smallest UPro scooter can cover between 18 and 30 miles on a charge and the largest most powerful model with two batteries around a 50 to 70 mile range. These are very realistic figures and many riders should be able to improve on these distances. 
What is the best way of transporting a scooter? 
The best way of transporting a scooter is by either putting it inside a van or the garage of a motorhome if there is room, or by towing it behind a car, van or motorhome. We have a range of very compact/folding trailers which are ideal for carrying our range of electric scooters. Details of the trailers can be found here  
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings